Healing infusions aren’t limited to herbs! Making fresh herb, veggie, and fruit infusions is one of my favorite ways to celebrate summer, and today I’m going to show you how it’s done! These infusions are so flavorful, crisp, and aromatic that you won’t be able to get enough of them. They’re super easy to make, a great treat for guests, and a simple way to avoid soda while getting the right kind of hydration.
Follow this photo how-to and learn the easy way to create your own vitamin water fruit infusions!
Gather together the following:
- Canning jar with lid, or other lidded glass jar
- Clean, cool water
- Room in your refrigerator
- Thinly sliced fruits and veggies
- About 2 tablespoons of your chosen herbs
Some great additions to your infusion include:
- Cucumbers, lemons, limes, raspberries, blackberries, strawberries, ginger root, licorice root, pineapple, lemon balm, chamomile, lavender, hibiscus flower, and lemongrass
Add your infusion pieces to your jar. Shake the jar a bit to mix the blend together.
Next, add cool water. Fill the jar as full as possible.
Put the lid on, and place in the fridge. 4-8 hours is usually the perfect stepping time for cold infusions like this, but you can taste your blend every hour or so until it’s just right for your taste.
One the brew is complete, pour it gently through a sieve, colander, sieve, or mesh screen into a new glass. Add ice cubes, fruit, citrus slices, or mint leaves as a garnish if you have them on hand.
Try a variety of different fruits and herbs to create new blends every day! These are the perfect distraction from sugary drinks and soda – and kids love them!
A few things to consider:
- If you don’t have organic fruits with peels, remove the peels before you add them to soak in your infusion
- Wash all fruits and veggies thoroughly